Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ceramics!

I'll admit it. I have another love besides drawing. And that love it ceramics! I lucked out and got into my high school's ceramics class as a freshman, where I had my Kindergarten art teacher as a teacher (No, seriously!). Anywho, I fell in love with ceramics and proceeded to take it 4 more times. :D I love it~~ <3 So here are a few pieces!

This first piece was done for a vase project. It's supposed to be a heart with a wing attached (Not a snail, like some people said ;3;). It's made with two different clay bodies. Dark brown clay is used for heart portion and white clay is used on the wing and base. The heart cracked unintentionally in the kiln because of lack of experience, but I actually liked it better that way! It was later destroyed by my cat.. ;__;

The assignment was to create a dinnerware set with a bowl, plate, and cup. I decided to to deflated balloons. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. :D From Left to Right: Blue bowl, red plate, and yellow cup. :] (No they did not have to be functional)
This is a kiln goddess that we had to make for our final project out of raku clay. I did a "goddess of destruction." It was my first time making a human out of clay, so her anatomy is off everywhere, but I think it's pretty good for my first try. She is supposed to look gross and broken. She broke about 3 times... she's okay, though.

We had to design a piece to fit a computer modem inside of it. I made a robot. :D The cords for the computer were supposed to come out of the heart on the right and be held by his hand and "eaten" by him, and go out the back of his head. My mind is weird. He has a copper pipe spray painted silver as his arm on the left. :)

This was something silly that I did in my free time. It's a sgraffito tile with Keroro Gunso on it. I was highly addicted to the series at the time I did this. The kanji on the left were a pain to write!
I forget what the theme was for this project but I did stuctural vs. abstract. Brown and white clay with swirled interiors. They come together. Somewhat. haha. This is probably one of the most difficult things I have made in ceramics. IT TOOK FOREVER.

This was for a teapot/teacup project. The robot was supposed to have pipe arms that were doing the Robot dance, and would also pour tea, but I never got around to it. :/ The cup was rushed, and you can tell, haha. Oh, well. (This was done before the previous robot. Can you see the improvement??)



Alright! That's all for now. I hope you enjoy! :) Like I said, I still have more, but I'll have to get pictures of them. I wasn't able to take ceramics this year in college, so hopefully I can take it next year! I miss it!

5 comments:

  1. I am smitten by the deflated balloon set. Not only is it extremely creative, but it's executed perfectly; that's exactly what they look like.

    Although I must admit, that robot tea cup is terribly adorable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! They were really fun to make!

    I love me some robots! 8D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah!
    Adams Here. LOVED the pics. You cracked me up on the marbled forms title.... It was the RELATED project. (You almost had it!)
    Thanks for sharing. Your drawings are REALLY cool lady...I'll have to share with Riedel and Valley. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I could never keep up with all the project titles! Thanks, Adams~! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those balloon things are AWESOME. That is such a cool idea! XD

    ReplyDelete